I love coconut, good job as it’s a fantastic ingredient to use for making low carb and low sugar recipes. This one has the additional of chocolate chips (ups the carb and sugar rating though) or drizzling them in homemade raw chocolate (more self-righteous but not quite as good). So depending how strict you want to be here are the variations, you choose.
Ingredients: Makes 20
2 tbsp powdered stevia or sukrin
4 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g desiccated coconut
75g milk chocolate chips or
2 tbsp raw chocolate, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180c/gas 4 or AGA roasting oven shelf on oven floor
- Whisk the stevia and egg whites together until they come to stiff peaks. This will take a while, even in a powerful stand mixer, so be patient. They will end up thick, white and glossy.
- Gently stir in the vanilla, desiccated coconut and chocolate chips (don’t add the raw melted chocolate if you’re using that, that’s for drizzling on the finished cookies)
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture onto a lined, greased baking tray. The mixture will fall apart so gently squeeze it into flat rounds with your fingers. Once it’s cooked it will stick together.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes until lightly golden brown at the edges and top, allow to cool.
- If using raw chocolate, use a teaspoon to drizzle over the top of the macaroons once they are cold, chill in the fridge to set. Store in an airtight container
Nutrional values per macaroon based on www.myfitness.pal are :
Total fat 6g
Total carbs 2g (fibre 1g, sugars 1g so net carbs are 1g)
If you add the milk chocolate chips this ups the totals to:
Total fat 7g
Total carbs 4.5g (fibre 1g, sugars 3.5g so net carbs are 3.5g)
If you drizzle with a tablespoon or so of melted raw chocolate you are adding ZERO carbs