This is lovely made with half wholemeal and half white self raising flour, it makes it a little more healthy, you can also add chopped hazelnuts to the topping if you wish
Rhubarb is the only vegetable we eat as a fruit. A fruit contains the seeds of the plant, so peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes and aubergines are all fruit we eat as vegetables; if we eat the leaves, roots or stalk of the plant these are classed as vegetables. We eat the stalk of the rhubarb plant so it’s a vegetable.
Ingredients: for 12 muffins
225g self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground ginger
100g soft dark brown sugar
75g butter, melted
2 tablespoons black treacle or molasses
200g rhubarb, cut into 1cm chunks
50g demerara sugar
25g soft butter
50g chopped roasted hazelnuts*
How to make Rhubarb Muffins… WASH YOUR HANDS
- Ask an adult to turn the oven onto 200oc/400oF/Gas Mark 6 and put a shelf onto the centre runner (Aga Roasting oven – shelf on oven floor).
- Mix together all the ingredients for the muffin mix except the rhubarb and beat until most of the lumps have gone.
- Add the rhubarb and stir gently to mix. Fill the muffin cases evenly with the mixture.
- Mix together the sugar, soft butter and hazelnuts for the topping and place heaped teaspoonfuls on top of the muffins.
- Ask an adult to put the bun tray into the centre of the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and firm to the touch. Ask an adult to take the muffins out of the oven and leave to cool or eat warm.
*Not suitable for people with nut allergies or children under 5 years old, omit.