Gloriously stick gingerbread with tart rhubarb complimented with lemon icing, delicious. You can make this in a 2 litre loaf tin if you don’t have a mini loaf tin or you can use muffin cases. It will keep for up to 5 days and will get stickier in left for a couple of days, if it lasts that long.
Ingredients:for 1 large loaf or 12 mini loaves
150g unsalted butter
100g dark molasses sugar
50g golden syrup
100g black treacle
150ml semi skimmed milk
250g plain flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1.5 tsp baking powder
2 medium eggs
150g rhubarb, chopped
Icing: Juice of 2-3 lemons
200g Icing sugar
- Preheat the oven onto 180oc/gas 4 and put a shelf onto the centre runner. (AGA Roasting oven – shelf on oven floor)
- Grease and line the loaf tin or tins. Gently heat the butter, sugar, golden syrup and treacle together in a saucepan over a low heat until the butter melts, add the milk, stir to mix and set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients together, beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Make a well in the centre, pour in the melted butter and sugar mixture along with the beaten eggs and slowly mix, bringing in the flour gradually until all the dry ingredients are incorporated. Fold in the rhubarb.
- Pour into the loaf tin or tins and bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes for the small loaves or 50 minutes for the large tin.(AGA roasting oven, shelf on bottom set of runners, for 10-15 minutes or 40-45 minutes with plain cold shelf above). They’re cooked when a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the loaf.
- Mix the lemon juice with the icing sugar until you have a thick icing, ice the cakes and eat.