This is tangy, gingery and sweet. The rhubarb cuts through the sweetness of the ice cream complimented by the ginger crunch crumble making a totally delicious ice cream. For a sugar free version use my Sugar Free Ice Cream Base, Sukrin sugar works brilliantly.
1 quantity Ice Cream Base or Sugar Free Ice Cream Base
400g rhubarb, washed, trimmed and cut into 1cm lengths
50g light brown muscovado sugar or Sukrin (sugar free version)
1tsp freshly grated ginger
Zest and juice of 1 orange
75g plain flour
50g butter, cold and diced
50g light brown muscovado sugar or Sukrin (to keep it sugar free)
1 tsp ground ginger
- Make up a batch of my Ice Cream Base or Sugar Free Ice Cream Base. Chill.
- Preheat the oven to 190c/gas 5/AGA roasting or baking oven.
- Place the rhubarb into a saucepan with the sugar or sukrin and grated ginger, stir in the orange zest and juice. Set the pan over a low to medium heat and simmer very gently until it's soft but still holds it's shape, around 20-30 mins, remove from the heat, allow to cool then chill.
- Place the flour, diced butter, sugar or Sukrin and ginger in a bowl and roughly rub in the mixture until it's still a little lumpy. Pour onto a greased and lined baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes until it's golden brown, AGA Roasting oven 6-8 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
- Once all the ingredients is cold mix together the ice cream base and rhubarb then churn in an ice cream maker. Once the ice cream is almost ready - holding it's shape but still soft - crumble up the ginger crumble mixture and stir in 3/4 of the biscuit crumbs, leaving some to sprinkle on top.
- Transfer the ice cream to a tupperware container, sprinkle over the remainder of the biscuit crumbs and freeze until solid.