These are my classic chocolate banana muffins but with the sugar removed, they're still sweet, use 50% wholemeal flour and my children didn't notice, at all, let's just hope they don't read this.
Ingredients: for 12 muffins
100g self raising flour
125g wholemeal self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
75g dark chocolate chips (original recipe was 100g)
2 tbsp agave syrup/nectar or powdered stevia (original recipe was 150g caster sugar
175ml milk (skimmed, semi, full fat, whatever)
75ml melted butter or sunflower oil
3-4 very ripe bananas (if they are very ripe you can cut down the agave even more)
- Preheat the oven to 190c/gas 5/AGA roasting oven shelf on oven floor.
- Mix together the dry ingredients and choc chips in a bowl, in a separate bowl or jug mix together the agave, egg, milk and oil.
- Mash the bananas really well.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients, add the mashed bananas, mix. Don't try and mix out the lumps, it's meant to be lumpy to leave it be.
- Divide equally between 12 muffin cases.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
Store in an airtight container for 2 days or freeze.