Ingredients: for 15-20 biscuits
100g soft butter or margarine
50g caster sugar
50g dark chocolate
130g ‘00’ plain flour
A little extra flour
Bourbon Biscuit filling ingredients:
25g soft butter or margarine
40g icing sugar
10g cocoa powder
How to make Bourbon Biscuits... WASH YOUR HANDS
- Preheat the oven onto 170oc/gas 4 and put a shelf onto the bottom runner. (AGA roasting oven - shelf on oven floor).
- Grease the baking trays using a little butter and line the trays with baking parchment.
- Cream the sugar and butter together until the mixture is pale, white and fluffy. It should drop off the end of a spoon easily.
- Melt the chocolate over a pan of barely simmering water or in the microwave on low or medium for 1 minute then 20 second bursts.
- Add the melted chocolate to the creamed butter and sugar, sift in the flour, add the semolina and stir to form a dough. You may find it easier to do this using your hands.
- Transfer the dough to a clean, lightly floured surface, dust the rolling pin with flour and gently flatten the dough - do not press too hard. Roll the dough out until it is around 1cm thick.
- Cut the dough into same sized rectangles. Place these onto the lined baking trays. Gather up the remaining dough, press it together and roll out again to make the remaining biscuits.
- Use the fork to gently stab each biscuit - this will stop them puffing up in the oven.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (AGA: plain cold shelf on second set of runners) for 8-10 minutes.
- Leave them to cool for 10-15 minutes before you transfer them to a wire rack to fully cool before filling them.
To make the filling:
- Beat together the soft butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder with a wooden until the mixture is paler and fluffy. It should drop off the end of a spoon easily.
- Using the round bladed knife put some butter icing onto one bourbon biscuit and sandwich together with another – gently.